Wednesday, December 9, 2009

economic mobility

After playing Monoply in class today, I saw how big of a difference it could be just by what you are born into the world with. Even though it was just a game, I tried to look at it like in a real life situation. For example, for people who have money in this world. If they end up in jail, they could just easily bail themselves out like in the game where you could pay a fine. But if you were born into a lower class it probably be a lot harder for you or your family to bail yourself out. On top of that there is also court fees, paying for a lawyer, and maybe even probation fees. Just like in the game I started off being the second riches, so it wasn't to bad at all since I had a lot of extra money to spend. But for the guy who was the Iron struggled the whole game and ended even owing a lot of money to others who were also playing the game. If this was in a real life situation the man owing money could end up homeless, in jail, or maybe something even worse could happen. But I guess even if you started out with nothing by really trying hard in life you can do anything or be anything you want. I know this is true because my parents came to the United States with not a lot at all to start off with, they didn't speak any english and both of them have never gone to high school. Now they own a home and is giving me the opportunity to have a good education that they never got the chance to experience growing up.

2 comments:

  1. thats so true about the jail..i kept hoping that i wouldn't land on the go to jail space or pick a chance card that said go to jail (i was the iron) because I couldn't afford jail! While the upperclass people could just pay their way out, every time I rolled the die it was like I was taking a risk and it could "make or break" me. these are things the lower classes have to deal with whereas they are non-issues for people of the upperclass

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were right about the person with the iron. All we did was try to avoid jail because we knew we couldn't afford to post bail, so we would end up being in there for awhile. You make a really good point about how much the lower classes really do struggle to get what they want.

    ReplyDelete